Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Closing of the Western Mind

A little while ago, I was asked to write a review of Charles Freeman's The Closing of the Western Mind. Then I was asked again. And the other day, I found an existing review on the internet that is completely misguided. So, I thought, I must get my act together and finally do one myself.

My review is here. I posted it onto the Secular Web to see how the pit liked it. Notalot, as you can see but it sparked a great deal of discussion. Freeman is totally wrong, of course. The closing of the western mind was caused by a horde of barbarians over running the Roman Empire. Christianity is why the western mind reopened a few centuries later. Somehow, Freeman never seems to mention that...

Comments or questions? Post them at Bede's dedicated yahoo group.

No comments: